4th Littleton Main Street Historic Tours – 2 Tour Times 5pm and 6pm
Saturday, August 17, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Littleton Municipal Courthouse — 2069 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton
< Back to Event Schedule
Come travel through time while touring buildings, lives and events of Littleton through its history. It is a walking tour taking approximately one hour and fifteen minutes minutes. Choose from two tour times: 5pm & 6pm. The tour starts and ends at the Littleton Municipal Courthouse under the large shade tree. Each tour will give details of the building architecture style, the history of the building, and the people who owned the buildings.
Town Hall – 2450 West Main Street – Before it was Town Hall funded by a bond issue and replaced the original town hall purchased by the city in 1898. Jules Jacques B. Benedict was architect for Town Hall, Carnegie library in 1916. Also built and owned the Gallup house (monastery). Architect style is more representative of Gothic Revival. Roof is flat and invisible from the street. The triple arched arcade is the dominant feature of the façade and gives the building its Italian Renaissance feel. The Columbine is bound in the seven bands. Built within budget. It housed the town’s fire truck, as well as city offices and council chambers. During the depression era the residents of Littleton wanted to do something to help feed the poor. They decided to go jack rabbit hunting at Deer Trail. Anyone who needed food could pick up a bunny inside the Gothic Arches of the town hall. That day the weather was really cold, so the rabbits were well preserved, like boards on the concrete floor.
Coors Building (Prohibition from 1916 – 1933)– 2489 West Main Street – built 1905 by Adolph Coors. Expanded to 2485 W. Main Street in 1906. Originally there were five stores on the ground floor including a plumbing and hardware business and the Arapahoe Bar, a saloon that sold Coors Beer. Upstairs were the offices of the Littleton Club. 20th century commercial-style building with an architecture style not overly ornamented, but still has a character and charm that demonstrated growing prosperity. Corinthian cast iron column second story windows framed with brick molding, and the original Coors Building sign still remains. For many years the building held Abe’s Café.
|Sponsor(s)||Littleton Historical Preservation Board and Historic Littleton Inc.|
|Website||www.littletongov.org/boards or www.hlinc.org|
Littleton Municipal Courthouse
2069 W. Littleton Blvd.